De-selecting cells

I know I can add cells to the selection by holding CONTROL pressed while
clicking on the cell(s).

But how can I "de-select" a selected cell? I tried holding CONTROL while
clicking the cell again (this is a UI convention in Windows), but this
doesn't work.

Perhaps it'd help if I describe why I need this. My scenario is as follows:
I have a bunch of numbers:

   2.0
   0.37
   1.4
   0.13
   2.1
   0.75
   2.8
   0.34

These represent sizes of files (in GB). And I'm trying to figure out what
combinations of them would sum up nicely to 4.4 (that's the capacity of a
DVD disk. I'm burning files into a disk.) To this purpose I'm selecting some
of the numbers and look at Gnumeric's status bar: it has a nice "Sum=???"
feature. That's quick and easy. But... While I'm experimenting with the
possible combinations I want to de-select some of the numbers and choose
others. I know that in Windows it's possible to de-select elements by
pressing CONTROL + mouse click, but it seems this doesn't work in Gnumeric.

I'm using Gnumeric 1.9.9. Ubuntu 9.10.