pb compiling gnumeric

Dear all,

Sorry for the newbie question.
I am trying to compile the latest gnumeric, under ubuntu 10.10 (/usr/local/).
The compilation went fine, but when I tried to launch gnumeric, I got the following error message:

gnumeric: error while loading shared libraries: libspreadsheet-1.10.12.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

However
I then tried to set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable before compilation:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

but it did not solve the problem.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frédéric