Re: 2 Qs: size of tables & worksheets? graphed output to html?

Le vendredi 02 octobre 2009 à 04:35 -0400, ken a écrit :
I have two questions. Both pertain to a systems monitoring project I'm
developing for a college I work for.  We want to monitor two linux
servers.  Data (on mem, disk, cpu, etc. usage) will be collected every
ten seconds.  This will then be graphed to show what's been going on
with the systems for various periods of time... like up to three weeks.
 So this will be a lot of rows and columns.  A piece of data every ten
seconds over three weeks comes close to 181,440 pieces of data.  Let's
call this 200,000 rows.  Multiply this by, say, ten data items each for
memory, swap, disk, and cpu and we have 8M data points, or cells.  The
best info I got from google (thus far) was 2005 info which stated,
"GNUmeric could accept more than 256 columns and more of 65000 rows
(needs to be re-compiled)."  Does anyone have better, more recent info
about gnumeric which would indicate that it could or could not handle
200,000x40 cells?  Better yet, what are gnumeric's data-holding capacities?

Latest release (1.9.13) supports large sheets provided your computer has
enough memory. The sheets size can be changed at runtume, so you don't
need a recompilation anymore. You can have up to 16M rows, so it will be
enough for your needs. Just I don't really know how fast gnumeric is
with very large sheets.
Of course, 1.9.13 is a devalopment version, but it seems fairly stable,
and we should have the next stable (1.10.0) within three months or so.

Secondly, users will query the database via a web form, which, once
submitted, produce a variety of graphs.  Can gnumeric produce its graphs
as a separate image file suitable for insertion into a web page...?
like a jpeg or png file?  And, if so, could those image files contain
borders noting, e.g., the days and hours along the x-axis and
percentages on the y-axis?

Formats available for axis labels are the same that you can have in a
sheet cell. Recently there were some enhancements for axis labelled as
dates, so I suppose it should work for you.

Of course the functionality I'm searching for would likely be more
readily found in a database app, like MySQL, but I've been using
gnumeric for a long time (though not its graphing capabilities), so am
more comfortable with it.  If it provides the functionality I'm looking
for, then I can feel okay about bending the theoreticals.

TIA for your expert replies.