Re: Wrong results with named cells in formula

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 18:04 +0100, François Legendre wrote:
Hello,

I use 1.8.2 under Ubuntu.

I meet the following trouble.

1) I enter a number in a cell, i.e. 2 ;
2) I define a label, i.e. "label", for this cell with the item menu
Insert / Names / Define... ;
3) I use the label in a formula ;
4) I get wrong results ; for example, the formula "=label" gives 0 ;
the formula "=2*label" gives 0 ; the formula "=2+label" gives 2 (the
right answer!) and the formula "=4+label" gives 6.

Any ideas ?

Should I fill a bug report ?

I can replicate this under ubuntu in gnumeric 1.8.2. The "workaround"
would be to make sure that when you define the cell rather than using
Sheet1!A1 (assuming you are defining a label for that cell) to use
Sheet1!$A$1.

Note that this is not really a bug since if you define using _relative_
addresses (A1) you are likely not addressing the cell you think you are
addressing.

In current svn we are defaulting to absolute addressing and so unless
you know what you are doing you are not likely to use relative
addressing here!

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow pyrshep ca>