Re: Another try to get a response

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 09:34 -0800, George Dell wrote:

Hello Adrian,

Thank you for engaging me on this issue.  While I am a deep believer
in “freedom” as you mention it – I also need to be able to have people
(who understand none of the technospeak and specialized words), able
to get to an installed usable version.  Even your answer leaves my
head swimming.

Installing gnumeric is usually trivial and you don't even need to go to
the gnumeric web site.

If you are using Debian you just select that program like any other
package for installation (using the synaptic pacakge manager accessible
via System->Administration), similarly in Ubuntu or any other modern
operating system.

(Considering your question I suppose you are using MS Windows. In that
case you chose an operating system that is designed to avoid having
competitors software installed easily. I suggest you get another
operating system.)

Andreas

 In going to the web page "Getting Gnumeric" the new, excited, but
unknowledgeable potential user is confronted with an immediate
technospeak problem.  Pushing the "Get Gnumeric Now" produces nothing
now.  It produces a confusing explanation of possible sources, but
nowhere to just Get Gnumeric.

The difficulty appears to arise when we consider *what* a user should
obtain after clicking the button.

I agree with this.

Clearly this would need to be specific to the desktop of each user
doing
the clicking. Ideally, for the two dominant closed desktop
environments,
we would have installable artifacts since those users have been
trained
to look for such bundles.

Perhaps we could do something for the most common of the desktops.
E.g., Microsoft Windows.

I do not know what a closed desktop environment is, nor an installable
artifact.  In particular, my students are simply desktop and laptop
users, who have not had any training “to look for such bundles.” I do
not know what a bundle is nor what it may refer to.

For the open desktop systems, user
expectations are different---most get their software from their
installer systems, which of course differ greatly from system to
system,
with no common "install gnumeric" command.

I assume when you say open desktop systems, you are referring to
something like linux.

I do not know what an installer system is.  Where can we get these
required installer systems in order to get Gnumeric on the desktop?

Unfortunately, for the closed systems, gnumeric does not have any mac
bundle and the windows bundle is not yet official but does have a
link
which is perhaps not prominent enough. (Official support for the
windows
port leads to lots of complications, e.g. release specific
dependencies
and systematic handling of the gtk stack.)

Portable Gnumeric has worked on all macs except one, which was an
older computer.

What is a “Windows bundle” and where is this link within it.  I have
no idea what a dependency is, nor what systematic handling is, nor
what a gtk stack is, nor why an understanding of this will help me
help students get Gnumeric on their desktops.

For the open systems, we start needing system specific responses.

How do we go about getting these?

So yeah, freedom is messy and we may loose the impatient---that's may
be
all right in the long run if you believe, as I do, that freedom is
contagious,

all the best,
  Adrian

Again, I hope I do not come across as being flippant.  I truly believe
in the freedom you speak of.  If it is intended that open source be
available only to those who are very very patient, or are willing to
learn all the technical things of which you speak – then we will
continue to lose the 98% of the people we declare “not patient
enough.”

One final thought.  Since nearly all of my students have windows on
their standalone desktops and laptops, perhaps if simple instructions
were available for that computer type . . . .

Thank you for your patience with this numbskull teacher of statistics,
graphics, and economics in real estate applications.

George Dell

I am instructor who regularly starts people on the Gnumeric path.
But there is a recurring problem which strikes at the very growth
potential of this wonderful open-source product.

I want to thank all those who are so dedicated to this project.  It
has been a boon to my students,  My request here is only my small
attempt to make Gnumeric more successful!

The problem --
    In going to the web page "Getting Gnumeric" the new, excited,
but unknowledgeable potential user is confronted with an immediate
technospeak problem.  Pushing the "Get Gnumeric Now" produces nothing
now.  It produces a confusing explanation of possible sources, but
nowhere to just Get Gnumeric.
The difficulty appears to arise when we consider *what* a user
should
obtain after clicking the button.

Clearly this would need to be specific to the desktop of each user
doing
the clicking. Ideally, for the two dominant closed desktop
environments,
we would have installable artifacts since those users have been
trained
to look for such bundles. For the open desktop systems, user