help for date-format modifications

Can someone give me a pointer to the likely files to be modified to change the date-recognition code for data-imports?

I'd like to modify gnumeric to accept the (at least-)European format ( and the minimalistic format yyyymmdd.  (Kudos to gnumeric for supporting yyyy/mm/dd, which is a clean and logical compromise over the brain-dead American format mm/dd/yyyy and the backwards European format

Perhaps this requires changing the general cell-formatting code, rather than strictly the data-import code?