Re: 3D axis labels orientation

Le jeudi 07 août 2008 à 11:22 +0200, Emmanuel Pacaud a écrit :
Le dimanche 03 août 2008 à 10:44 +0200, Jean Bréfort a écrit :
Le samedi 02 août 2008 à 22:07 +0200, Mariusz Adamski a écrit :
Hi,

I had some issues with labels padding, but i think i solved them
finally. Now the axes are drawn horizontally when the axis angle <45
degrees and vertically when it's >45 degrees. It's symmetric now, but
maybe e.g. 90 +/- 10 would be a better choice. You can also substitute

  style->text_layout.angle = (angle > 45. && angle < 135.)? 90. : 0.;

with

  style->text_layout.angle = (angle < 90)? angle : angle + 180;

which draws labels parallel to the axis.

Jody, Emmanuel, and all others: any comment or idea?

I'm not sure to understand. Does that mean the user lost the control of
the label angle ?

Not at all, just the automatic behaviour depends upon the axis
direction. If the user changes the angle, the angle he sets is used
whatever the axis direction.

Some screenshots showing the difference between each solution would
help.

Looks like we now have a decent support for surface plots in goffice :-)

Very nice work indeed.

I have some comments though.

- I'm not sure we really need the 3D-box object. Perhaps the
corresponding control could be moved in the 3d plot panel, while the 3d
view parameters could be stored in the GogChart object (which would be
similar to what's done for the plot area position/size properties).

I thought preferable to not add a lot of members to GogChart. Of course
we can change that.

- It would be nice if the plot could be updated when changing the
parameters.

The plot is updated only after the mouse button has been released
because we met some performance issues. It might be enough to just drop
duplicate events.

- The advanced and the rotation tabs could be merged. That would help to
understand which axis psi, theta and phi refer to.

I feel that Euler's angles are not simple enough for most users. We
might at least display the field of view value in the rotation tab.

- An isometric view would be great.

As well as other projection modes. At least excel and OOcalc behaviors
should be implemented.

- The z axis should not be a discrete axis.

Do you have a sample where the z axis is discrete? With the samples I
have, it is not discrete.

- I would have choosen another approach for the graph layout, where the
user defines the depth of the plot area.

The field of view is used instead.

 At least, it should be possible
to set the z axis length.

TAs well as the y/x lengths ratio, IMHO.

Cheers,
Jean