Re: Printing in CVS HEAD.

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 10:54 +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
msevior physics unimelb edu au wrote:
Hi Tomas,
         Congrats on all your work to get printing going with the pango
graphics class.

It now basically works.

However I'm seeing substantial non-WYSIWYG behaviour. A document of 3
pages plus 2 lines on page 4 while on screen becomes 3 pages (less 2
lines) in print preview.

Do you have an idea what is happenning here? How do you plan to to fix it?

This is the problem I described in an earlier mail to the list; the
GnomePrint Pango backend obtains font metrics for hardcoded resolution
of 72dpi; Pango-xft backend uses whatever the X server is running with
(96dpi on my machine), and the font metrics obtained for the two
resolutions do not match. This is really a GnomePrint bug/API issue, and
should be addressed in GP, but that needs some GnomePrint knowledge
which I do not have. I have emailed Jody a while back, but had no reply
as yet.

I'm cross posting this to Jody directly the gnumeric list. Can we just
grep through the gnome-print code, hunt down all the 72.0 assumptions
and replace them with a definable resolution?

I can't see why we gnome-print needs 72.0 to be hard-coded. Maybe
someone else can tell us?

Cheers

Martin

Tomas