Win32 release 1.6..2RC1 wont run

I have just installed this on a WIN2000 box with all patches, but trying to run it gives me

"program error Gnumeric.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart program. An error log has been created"

I have tried re-booting the PC, switched off firewall and AV, and re-installing in C:\Gnumeric rather than the program files directory.

Anyone have any suggestion on how to get this working.

Many thanks,

Graham