Re: Space-sensitive sorting?

On 28/08/2006 9:20 PM, gnumeric-list 9 osterizer spamgourmet com wrote:

When sorting text in Gnumeric, it appears that whitespace is disregarded during
the sort, so that (for example):

   ADAMS BETTY
   ADAMS TIMOTHY
   ADAMSON PAUL

sorts as:

   ADAMS BETTY
   ADAMSON PAUL
   ADAMS TIMOTHY

with the "O" in ADAMSON preceding the "T" in TIMOTHY.

I've looked for a preference to override this behavior, but couldn't find one --
is there a way to force Gnumeric to consider spaces when sorting?

I pasted the second group of 3 lines into Gnumeric 1.6.3 (Windows version) and sorted the column; the results were (as expected) the first group of 3 lines.

Perhaps you have some other character (e.g. 0xA0 (no-break space)) between ADAMS and TIMOTHY.