Applix/XLS import-save-load corruption

I am converting an applix spreadsheet for use in gnumeric.  The applix
loader does not work for me, failing with the message:

"Parse error while reading applix file. Expression did not specify
target cell"

To work around this, I use applix to export the file in XLS5 format
and open that result with gnumeric.  I can now see all the data and
things look fairly good, so I save the file in gnumeric format
(e.g. foo.gnumeric).  However, opening foo.gnumeric tells me:

"Unknown sheet 'XXX'"

where XXX is the seventh of seven sheets.  The data in XXX is no
longer accessible.  I have looked at the XML in an uncompressed
foo.gnumeric and it looks like XXX is actually there, but is lost
during load somehow.

If someone is interested in these bugs, please let me know.  I cannot
provide the exact spreadsheet since it contains proprietary
information, but I am hopefully able to assist with debugging.

Tammo