From: Oliver Burnett-Hall <olly burnett-hall co uk>
Date: Sunday, September 11, 2005 7:45 pm
Subject: Re: HTML encoded spreadsheets?

David Stanaway wrote:
Maybe my vendor is going out of their way to make a dodgy
file? EG, save as web page, then renaming the file to .xls and
ignoring> the warning.

From your description of what you're receiving, it sounds like
they are
going (in Excel) 'File' menu -> 'Send to...' -> 'Mail recipient'.
This
starts a new message in Outlook, converting the current spreadsheet
HTML and bunging it in the message body.  The resulting message is
useless even if you have Excel.

[Note, I don't have Excel here so can't check this, but it sounds
like
the type of format you get from this]

The simplest way to fix this is by taking your clue stick and
gently
persuading them to use 'File' menu -> 'Send to...' -> Mail
recipient (as
attachment)' instead.

- olly