Re: HTML encoded spreadsheets?

Also, when I open with the html format module, lots of errors scroll
about namespace errors. It is an html file with excel xml markup eg:


  <td class=xl29 width=71

x:num flags an error, and the css formatting is ignored, eg:

        mso-number-format:"Short Date";
        border:.5pt solid black;
        mso-pattern:auto none;


<td class=xl33 align=right width=95
  width:71pt' x:num="38602">9/7/2005</td>

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 17:53 -0500, David Stanaway wrote:
I am having a problem with a few vendors sending me data that they thing
is an Excel spreadsheet, but it is infact an HTML file with an XLS

I suspect that it is actually created by Excel.

Here is the head of one sample:

<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"

<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<meta name=ProgId content=Excel.Sheet>
<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Excel 11">
<link rel=File-List href="foo_files/filelist.xml">
<link rel=Edit-Time-Data href="foo_files/editdata.mso">
<link rel=OLE-Object-Data href="foo_files/oledata.mso">
<!--[if !mso]>
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
x\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}

I am not sure how these files originate, but I suspect, it is through a
web app that outputs an html table with mime type for excel, then the
vendor uses "Save As.." in Excel and perhaps it defaults to "Save as

Regardless, Gnumeric fails to load these properly, and if I rename the
file to .html and open in gnumeric, I loose cell color formating.

I know this is a problem with the html format module not having a probe
method, and the developers want to avoid probe method proliferation as
it will adversely effect performance, but if these kind of files crop up
from normal use of Excel, they probably should be supported.

I have opened this bug previously when I was having problems with data
from another vendor.

but this file that is causing problems now seems to have been created by
Excel. This file also gives oocalc some grief too (Unlike the previous
one I had problems with).

I also do not get the foo_files/* files, just the foo.xls

gnumeric-list mailing list
gnumeric-list gnome org

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]