Re: A newbie asks about printing labels

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:51:24PM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
   From: "Andreas J. Guelzow" <aguelzow taliesin ca>
   Cc: Gnumeric Dev List <gnumeric-list gnome org>
   Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:14:19 -0700
   On Sun, 2005-27-02 at 07:24 -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
   > I'm in a position of having to begin using gnumeric to handle the
   > membership of a large organization, with very little experience in
   > gnumeric and none at all in Excel.
   >
   > I've entered much of the data, and know that eventually I'll need to
   > print labels from it. I don't use a word processor, but LaTeX (with
   > emacs under Debian sarge).
   >
   > I'm told that gnumeric-->TeX is the conventional way of doing labels,
   > but I'm uncertain how to go about that.

   This may be the conventional way to do labels but it is not the easy
   way. I would export the data from Gnumeric into a csv file and then use
   glabels, a program specifically designed to print labels. I have always
   found doing labels in TeX or LaTeX to be more of a pain than worth the
   trouble. (I do virtually everything else in LaTeX.)

I'll defintely look into glabels, but I assume that I'll not get the
typographic quality one expects from LaTeX. I'd like to at least try
to get LaTeX to work, but if I'm overwhelmed by the effort, I'll beat
a retreat to your suggeted glabels, which sounds easy.

I suspect that in LaTeX I'd have to devise a script to handle a CSV
file.
Here is one way to go:
1. Save as csv (i used ; as a column separator)
   Let's assume your csv file looks like the following (test.csv)

column 1-1;column 1-2;column 1-3
column 2-1;column 2-2;column 2-3
column 3-1;column 3-2;column 3-3
column 4-1;column 4-2;column 4-3

2. Use the following awk script saved as test.awk

BEGIN {
  FS=";"
  print "\\documentclass[11pt]{article}";
  print "\\usepackage{labels}";
  print "\\begin{document}";
}
{
  print "\\addresslabel{";
  print "  " $1 "\\\\";
  print "  " $2 "\\\\";
  print "  " $3 "\\\\";
  print "}";
}
END {
  print "\\end{document}";
}

3. Run

cat test.csv |awk -f test.awk > test.tex

4. Run test.tex through LaTeX.

This is a very simple example but it should point out one
possible way.

  Uwe

--
  MMK GmbH, Universitaetsstr. 11, 58097 Hagen
  Uwe Steinmann mmk-hagen de