Sub- and superscripts?

I hate to look like a dumbass (I am -- just hate to look that way), but
how do you get superscripts in text in Gnumeric?  For instance, how would
you label a column x-squared?

In Excel, you can type in X2, highlight just the 2, then go to
format-cells-font and click on superscript. In Gnumeric, if you highlight
just the two, you can't get to the format-cells menu. And, all the time,
if you're in format-cells-font, the sub- and superscript choices are
grayed out.

(This is on either the older versions, which I use in Linux, or the 1.4.2
M$ Windows version some of my students are using.)

So what am I doing wrong? (And where is it in the docs?)

--Red

    Red Sarna, Department of Arts & Sciences, Maine Maritime Academy
    Chief Little Bear, 75% Rottweiler, 75% Black Labrador Retriever
          (I know what it adds up to, but he's a lot of dog!)
***** http://bell.mma.edu/~sarna ****** Opinions are solely my own! ******