Re: c++-code for reading and writing in .gnumeric files

Hello together

[sorry for sendig this mail twice...]

Here is the following question.

I would like to access directly the contents of a .gnumeric file.

Is there an c++-interface for this (say when the operating system is
Linux)?

That is, I want to write a c++ program that reads data from a given
.gnumeric file manipulates it in a certain prescribed way and writes the
result into a new (or existing) .gnumeric file.
A similar question for .xls files.

I am definitely sure that there are such interfaces (defined by libraries,
classes ...)  for c++.

Any hints are welcome.

Well it really depends how much of gnumeric's very rich feature set you
want/need to support.

I wrote some code that exports a GTK tree model widget to gnumeric in
about 100 lines of Python. All I did was to gunzip a gnumeric file and
stare at the XML.

You can find the code in the MyBudget.py program at...

http://www.abisource.com/~msevior

or in the divifund module in gnome CVS.

I plan to break that code out into it's own module and class Real Soon Now.

XLS... well that's a whole other story.

Cheers,

Martin

Thank you for your help

Martin

In the case of the language Java the construction of an interface for
manipulating and building Excel files within a running Java routine is
part
of the Jakarta project (cf. http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/).