Re: Printing woes

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 16:16, frank brierley wrote:
Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

Perhaps because the traditional /etc/printcap listing provides virtually
no information about the capabilities of a printer?

I imagine there are other reasons for employing cups similar to the one
you've suggested.  lpd does little beyond catch a print job and spool it
to a printer.  But when using gnome-print's interface and specifying lpd
as the printer, lpd catches the job and prints just fine.  This suggests
gnome-print merely forwards a postscript docement which lpd has no
problem with.

Of course, there is no _technical_ reason we couldn't look for
/etc/printcap. In fact I believe we do have a PAPI module too I have
never used it nor looked at the code, so...) and even cups is only used
when it is available. I guess the main issue is the available time (and
our own priorization).

Andreas
--
Andreas J. Guelzow