vanishing grid lines

Can some kind soul please point me towards the resolution of an annoying
and recurrent problem in Gnumeric (and in Excel if that has any
relevance).

Some action that I take in Gnumeric causes an area of grid lines to
disappear from the display. Not sure how I achieved it, but it was
unwanted behaviour.

Now how to get the grid lines back again? Can't find the route.

I can vanish all the grid lines in the sheet, but when I reinstate them,
the lines that were previously missing are still not there.

Try putting in borders around the cell I think. All apparent options
under this procedure seem to result in borders that are more heavily
weighted than the standard grid lines and therefore not acceptable.

What silliness am I doing, and how can I correct my ways?

Chris Dunn