Re: large document support

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 09:16:00AM -0400, Adam Williams wrote:
        I searched the list but i have not seen anyone mention this
before, but is there a "usable" limit to a document that gnumeric
can work with?
I recently installed the 1.2.0 release, and feature wise it is very good.
However, it takes over twice as long to open a csv file compared to excel
on identical hardware.  The box is a p4 2GHz with 512MB running RH9, the
file is 10MB with over 30 cols and over 40,000 rows.  After it is opened,
certain operations like changing the cell formatting of a col or even just
saving the file in standard gnumeric xml format brings the box to its
knees and require me to kill gnumeric after waiting for a long time.
Has anyone else seen this problem, and is there a way to work around it?

I experience this problem.  I spend a good portion of my day massaging
really large files, and gnumeric chokes up on anything >~10,000 rows (on a
2Ghz w/1GB RAM).

Open Office is MUCH faster for large files, except the whole 32,767 limit
- but one can split files over sheets and thus create as of files as one
wants.

Was this with 1.2.x ?
If so please send us a sample and details of what is slow.  We've
worked hard to get scalable performance in the 1M cell range.