Re: regression from 1.0.x series?

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 01:00:41PM -0700, Jason Mancini wrote:

Enter this in cell B2:

=b1+if(a2="",c2,0)

Why is it "1"??
It used to be "0" in 1.0.x series.

Hmm, this is actually quite subtle.  1.1.x is wrong, but probably
not for the reasons you think.

    in A1 enter '=if(A2="",A3,"blah")'

result should be 0 because (A2="") is TRUE when A2 is empty, but
returning 'empty' in a top level expression generates '0'.

The fun part comes in when we try to distinguish between
    =if(A2="")                  (should return TRUE)
or
    =if(A2="",A2,"blah")        (should return 0)

empty was being passed to arg[1] in both cases, but we need to
produce different results.  The attached patch solves your problem,
but will require some review and testing before I'll commit it.

Thanks for pointing this out.  Just the surge of fear I always
wanted one week before release.
    Jody