Re: basic font question

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 05:25:45PM +0100, Debian User wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to display correctly a UTF-8 encoded file in Gnumeric.

I have managed to get Gnumeric to open this file, but some of the
characters (notably the phonetics symbols) are not displayed,
regardless of the font I choose from Gnumeric drop-down font
selector.

Other X applications (such as emacs) can display all the
characters in the file with the standard font
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-*-*-*-c-70-iso8859-1. So I have
concluded it is not an X windows problem. Am I right?

My question is, how do I make Gnumeric use this font?

I am running -

Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (Woody) with Gnome 2.2 backport
Xfree86 4.2.1
Gnumeric 1.2.1

Gnumeric piggybacks on top of pango which in turn uses fontconfig to
handle font selection.  The 1.2.x series uses utf8 internally so it
should be able to handle it.

    - depending on the format you are importing from you may want to
      double check the exported xml to ensure that the characters
      are importing as expected.  libxml1 had issues with encoding
      that caused problems from gnumeric-1.0.x.

    - You can check that fontconfig
        /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
    knows about the font you've requested.  Under debian you can try
    using defoma, it seems to do a credible job for me.

If problems persist you can file a bugreport and attach a sample
sheet with details of which characters are not displaying along with
a screen shot of what glyphs you expect.

Good Luck
    Jody