Re: bins?

>From gdict:

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"
Bin Bin, n. OE. binne, AS. binn manager, crib; perh. akin to
   D. ben, benne, basket, and to L. benna a kind of carriage ( a
   Gallic word), W. benn, men, wain, cart.
   A box, frame, crib, or inclosed place, used as a receptacle
   for any commodity; as, a corn bin; a wine bin; a coal bin.

In this context gnumeric is putting values into receptacles (baskets, buckets would be other words that might get used).

Each 'bin' corresponds to a range of values within the full range of values being plotted.

For instance, if your data had numbers in the range 1-100 you might decide to split it into 20 'bins', one for numbers in the range 1-5, one for numbers in the range 6-10 etc.

Hope that helps.

John