Compile Latest Source

Hey team,
very amateur hacker (Hal) here. Trying to re-pick up coding of functions submitted to Jody previously. I had
to return a computer, so new install of distro, Gnome & source.
I've got the latest Garnome install of Gnome.
Having a hell of a time getting all the dependencies sorted out to ./configure
Is there a definitive list of the requirments? Or can it be said with certainty I am doing something else
wrong?
It seems it is looking for v2.0 of pkgs (gnome-print from memory) in the pkgconfig where I have v2.2 of same
Sorry to be a bother and all that - don't much enjoy interrupting on the irc channel... (I have no net @ home
- have to borrow a connection.)
Kind regards,
Hal