Re: gnumeric not using Bonobo

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:35:21AM -0700, Robert Lopez wrote:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003  Jody Goldberg wrote:

Definitely.  While we'll continue to support a CORBA binding for
Gnumeric (although the api will change) graphing will not be via
CORBA and will have absolutely nothing to do with Bonobo.

Is it that graphing will not involve Bonobo?
Graphing will not require bonobo.

Or is it that Gnumeric will not involve Bonobo?
Bonobo support will split into 2 parts.

1) compile time support for creating a bonobo component of gnumeric.
2) an optional plugin for embedding bonobo objects in gnumeric.

Is all well with Bonobo or does this signal there is a fundamental
flaw in Bonobo? If so, how will that affect the goals for Gnome
office which are being/to-be provided by Bonobo?

I consider the use of bonobo for graphs a failed experiment.  That
does not mean that bonobo in general is a failure.  It definitely
has uses in specific niches, I just haven't found them in gnumeric.
Quite likely embedding abiword in gnumeric or vice versa is a viable
use case.  However, supporting a win32 build of gnumeric is a higher
priority than using bononbo, so I'm not rushing to extend the
support.