Re: Open Office file formats (Oasis-open) and gnumeric

What you are thinking
of as added feature may actually be considered a liability by the market
which is more interested in compatibility than functionality.
I believe many of us have adopted gnumeric because of the added features
and correct behaviour/result.  In my personal opinion there is already
much to high a value put on interoperability with XL.

Agree.

Personally, my version of interoperability would be the ability to run
gnumeric as a service via an standard RPC and communicate with it to read
or write data from gnumeric files.  File format interoperability issues
are just a pain, use the code that was meant to work with them.

The above is possible with Open/Star Office, and the documentation isn't
bad.  I don't know if it can be accomplished with gnumeric.

One must be careful how seriously one takes all that stuff one finds in
"big thinker" books about software developement, and all their assumptions
about "the market" as though it is an intelligent, far-sighted, and
homogeneous entity.  Lots of historical and current trends indicate that
none of the above criteria are neccesarily true.