Strange Formatting

Hi,

I'm trying to use gnumeric (version 1.0.12, inside gentoo linux) and
I get some strange number formatting errors.

Whenever I try to put specific numbers in cell using the standard
number format with 2 decimal places; I get a letter put in it's
place. e.g.  4 always comes out as 0.X0.

0 to 3, 32 to (I think) 511, 16384 to more than 2^32 work I think.
The others always generate 0.?0 where '?' is a random character
(i.e. not always alpha numeric).

Hassle me for any more information you may need.  Thanks,
  Sam