Viewpoints on conditional formatting, anyone?

Jon K Hellan writes:
Hi,

Conditional formatting is a much requested feature which Excel,
OpenOffice and KSpread have. It lets you specify e.g that cells with
the string "blue" should appear red, and there are many, more
sensible, applications.

We have to design a GUI for conditional formatting in
Gnumeric. Excel's GUI is a natural starting point, but hopefully we
can do better. I've put up a description with screenshots of Excel's
GUI at http://domen.uninett.no/~jk/cfmt.html.

Excel is limited to up to 3 conditions. Is there a need for more, and
can this be done without making the GUI confusing?

Excel's GUI is dynamic, it starts with a frame for a single condition
and lets you add more as you need them, and delete when you change
your mind. OpenOffice always shows all 3, and has a check box to
indicate which ones are actually used. I like OpenOffice's way, but it
won't work for a large or unlimited number of conditions.

Let the brainstorming begin.

Regards

Jon Kåre

I think Excel GUI is the exapmle of the bad user interface. Ideo of writing
logical expression in the form of GUI looks strange. Basically you have list
in the form:

Expression1 -- Format1
ExpressionN -- FormatN

Then you evaluate expression starting from 1 to N and choose format which
corresponds to the first expression returning 1(TRUE). So, you can use
standard gnumeric expression parser/eval (less coding). Also this expression
will be regular gnumeric expression, so it can contain references to the other
cells and use all available functions.

For the first design you can use up to say 10 rows containing text entry
fields for expression and labels for the format.

Pavel.