python functions

Hi,

Not sure if this is the best place to ask these questions, but here goes.

As new comer to Gnumeric, I'm trying hard to leave Microsoft's Excel behind. Unfortunately, I've become rather reliant on a number of functions written in visual basic. Transfering excel workbooks really means re- writing a number of functions

When adding user defined functions, is it best to write python plugin modules (as described in the help manual) or is there another method?

If python plugins are the most suitable, is there a way of having gnumeric re-read the python plugin file without closing and re-opening?

Can user defined functions be called by the button wigets?

Frank