Re: For mingw developers ...[Fwd: Win32 GNOME 2 Patches]

 --- Daniel Glassey <danglassey ntlworld com> wrote: >
Jody Goldberg wrote:
On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 03:13:26PM -0700, Dom
Lachowicz wrote:

Many of the Gnome2 libraries and dependencies can
currently run "natively" on top of Win32, using
Gtk2,
Glib2, Gnet, and the like as their portability
layer.
This, IMO, is the right way to go. If we're
seriously
interested in this, we've got to figure out which
ones
don't, and why.

100% agreement.

I would not advocate building a win32 version of
gnumeric that
requires cygwin.  My goal has been to remote the
gnome (and by proxy
bonobo) dependencies, and pare things down to only
that set of
libraries that have native builds.

gtk (and by extension atk, pango, glib) have win32
versions.
libglade and libxml are also clean.  The
gnome-canvas may have
problems due to an explicit usage of the freetype
pango backend.

freetype is good on win32 as well so that should be
no problem.

libgsf is known clean on win32.

libgnome would be simple were it not for bonobo
that will not run
under win32, so both need to go.  There are still
a few vestigages
of both for me to root out.  GAL is seeing minimal
usage, mainly the
xml DOM utilities and a few widgets that will be
moving.  So it too
can be removed.  Which leaves gnome-print as the
only real question
mark.

The first and most important step would be for
someone to put a
build environment in place and try it out.  I just
can't stomach
creating yet another build system.

btw for mingw/msys at least there is no need for a
totally new build
system. It handles configure scripts ok. MSVC and a
really new system
can wait until after mingw works.
The main thing to start with is going to be going
through the
dependencies and going through and documenting
getting the right version
of them for win32 and patches if necessary and
building.

Regards,
Daniel (kinda abi-mingw maintainer)

P.S. Sorry, can't commit to this right now, busy
looking at how hard it
would be to build abi in unicode mode on win32 to
solve a few bugs. But,
if someone gets it going, I'd be happy to help where
I can.

I *started* working on a Unicode Win32 build under
MSVC6 some time ago. I only got as far as commenting
my
own tree for where the most obvious changes would be
needed. Please let me know if you're going to take a
crack at this and I'll help out.  There were quite a
few places that need to be changed - mostly not too
tricky though.

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com