Applix import problems

I just got RHL8.0 so that I could try out gnumeric 1.0 as a replacement for
Applix' spreadsheet.  Gnumeric is the first I've found that can do views in
Linux, much less import my Applix data!

However, when I tried to import the file, I kept getting an error about
external links being broken.  But this was on a file with no external links.

I have checked the archives for both "applix" and "external link", but haven't
found anything which addresses this issue.

I'm using gnumeric 1.0.9 from the Red Hat 8.0 distro and data files from
Applix 5.0.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

-Michael

--
In light of the terrorist attack on the U.S.:
        They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary