Re: Help needed pls

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 02:21:24PM -0800, ADRIAN GOREA wrote:

Hi! I'm a new user of linux and i have some problems with
gnumeric. When I want to save in Excel format I get this message:
"Saving over old Excel format (.xls) disable for safety.(You can
turn this feature off by setting the environment variable
GNUMERIC_ENABLE_XL_OVERITE )".What can I do or on which file (and
dir) can I edit this environment variable.  Thanx

Your best bet is to get a newer version of gnumeric that no longer
needs that safetly check.  However, if you must use such an old
version you can set that environment variable from the command line
or in one of your startup files.

Start a terminal window and type
    echo $SHELL

if the result is csh or tcsh you can say
    setenv GNUMERIC_ENABLE_XL_OVERITE any_value_At_all_FOO
and you can add that setenv line to your ~/.tcshrc file

if the result is sh or bash you can say
    export GNUMERIC_ENABLE_XL_OVERITE=any_value_At_all_FOO
and you can add that line to your ~/.profile file

Good luck, the current version of gnumeric is 1.0.5