the 'locked' property on cells

Hi,

I've been asked by my employer to look into implementing
read only cells in gnumeric. This functionality seems
to be what the 'locked' property of a cell should be doing
except that isn't fully implemented.

Furthermore, it also seems to depend on having the ability to
'protect' a worksheet which isn't possible using the current user
interface. (at least, in the stable gnumeric version)

So I have a few questions which basically boil down to: 'How hard
is it to implement' and 'where do I start'. There should be an
user-generated event somewhere going off when a user tries to
access a cell I suppose but where and how do I catch it? What tools
should I use to change things (do I need glade to add ui stuff? or is
vi sufficient?)

Finally, I'd like to add this stuff to the stable version (or at
least, have a patch that applies against that) but I'm not sure
if that is entirely possible. However, given the fact that 1.0.7
compiles and the CVS version doesn't even have a configure script
let alone satisfied build dependencies I'd still like to try using
that.

This leads me to ask what the status is on these features (the
protected worksheet and locked cells) in the development branch -
is it ok to start work in the stable tree or would I be colliding with
someone else's work then?

Regards,
Floris Kraak
--
"I wonder", he said to himself, "what's in a book while it's
closed. Oh, I  know it's full of letters printed on paper, but all the