Problems with special characters

Hi,

I have the following problem with Gnumeric 1.0.0: Text containing special
characters (e.g., äöüß) is not displayed correctly in the cells i.e., it only
displays the characters till the first special character (example:
"zurückgeben" becomes "zur"), although the text is shown completely in the
"data entry area".

I have recently set up my computer from scratch (Debian/testing with gnumeric
from unstable) and perhaps something is missing, but no other applications
(including Gnome-Apps) show this behaviour. Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks for your time,
Christoph