Re: columns locked together

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 02:57:35PM -0500, Jody Goldberg wrote:
On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:51:56AM -0800, Gregory Margo wrote:
I've gotten my tax spreadsheet into a funny state - some of the
columns cannot be individually selected, and several columns select as one.
For instance, column A is single, but selecting any of columns B-E
cause all four columns to be selected.
The actual groupings I see are: A-(B-C-D-E)-F-(G-H-I-J)-K

How can I get the columns split back up again?
(And how did I manage to get them locked together in the first place?)

You probably merged some cells.  Gnumeric does not permit you to
select part of a cell.  Hence once a cell is merged to include more
than 1 column you can no longer select those columns individually.
This is different from XL, but seemed more consistent.  The easy
answer is to select one of the 'locked' regions and hit 'unmerge' on
the toolbar.  That will unmerge anything in that region and you'll
be free to select single columns again.

Hope that helps,
    Jody

Thanks, that must be it.
(G-J) have merges to form a 4-column underlined table heading.
(B-E) have merges because they reference long text strings
(awaiting just-in-time spanning.)

With all due respect, I wonder about that decision.
Should having two cells merged prevent individual column resizing?

Also an inconsistentency: while there is no way to manually resize the
individual columns (they all resize in tandem to the same size),
an "auto-fit-selecton" will resize the columns to different widths.

(I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure out why auto-fit-selection is
making some columns terribly wide.)

thanks,
gm
Gregory H. Margo
Home: gmargo yahoo com   gmargo pacbell net
Work: gmargo egg-spam com