Re: gsf api thoughts

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 14:14, Zbigniew Chyla wrote:
On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 22:47:28, Jody Goldberg wrote:

2) output unref vs close.  Should unrefing an output close it ?
I suspect so given that any other behaviour would be much harder to
implement.

You should never rely on unref being called. What if a reference gets passed
to some garbage collector (eg Python's)? Most GCs don't guarantee that all
unused references will be freed.

And what if you are in a language that will call unref in a
deterministic manner?

I don't think that putting assumptions in libgsf about what languages is
it going to be wrapped on is not a good idea.

I don't see why unref can't do the close (checking before that it has
not yet been closed).  If you end using it in a language where the GC
don't guarantees that references will be freed in a deterministic
manner, then just remember to call close yourself.

Cheers,

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
cuenca pacaterie u-psud fr