Re: Gnumeric as just a parser?

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 04:33:55PM +0400, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:

I would really like to use Gnumeric's wonderful Excel file importing
in my web project (importing of user submitted data to SQL database).
All existing little tools that I tried (xls2csv, DBI::Excel) fail on
my Excel files, while Gnumeric does not :)
So, my question is -- is there some way to use Gnumeric as an external
filter, so that I could make the importing Excel->saving as CSV/gnumeric
XML/whatever parseable ;) without starting a GUI?
Performance is not the key point, since Excel file imports are done
not more than once a day..

This is definitely a design goal.  All of the difficult piecs have been done
but I have not had time to implement libgnumeric or to come up with
a command line interface that would not be unusable.

If someone would like to draw up some proposals on an interface for
this.  Either via the scripting interface that we'll be adding for
2.0 or via some magic command line magic it would certainly
accelerate things.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.
    Jody