gnumeric 0.48 vs 0.65

Hello,

I have two Red Hat installations, on is RH 6.2 the other RH 7.0. They
each have different versions of gnumeric installed (0.48 vs 0.65).
Gnumeric 0.48 won't read the files written by 0.65. Is there a way round
this problem? I have investigated installing the newer version on both
machines but it looks likely to be a major headache on the RH 6.2.
system because it appears quite a lot of libraries would need to be
installed or upgraded.

Thanks,

Roger Mason