graph story

The following details my experience with Gnumeric 0.71, using
guppi3 CVS updated October 10, built against bonobo 1.09, oaf
0.6.6 and ORBit 0.5.10.

1. Open gnumeric from command prompt, see
Message: Successfully registered `OAFIID:GNOME_Gnumeric_GridFactory'

2. Enter 1,2,3,4,5 in column A; enter formulas to produce squares of
these numbers in column B.

3. Select A1..B5 and click on graph guru; select X-Y scatter; drag
to dump graph into sheet.  Looks fine.

4. Do a default save, to ~/Book1.gnumeric.

5. Exit gnumeric.  No error messages.

6. Restart gnumeric and File, Open Book1.gnumeric.  No error
messages.

7. The data are there fine.  The graph is there, but has no
data points and no numbering or tics on the y-axis.  The x-axis
is correctly labeled 1-5 and the legend "Series 1" is displayed.

8. Right-click on the graph, and select the "Data..." menu item.
In the window that appears, I see an "X Values" line, with the data
correctly identified, and a "(Y values)" line, again with the
right data range specified.  The thumbnail of the graph looks OK.
Hit Cancel.

9.  Now the (incomplete) graph is replaced by a blank gray patch
in the spreadsheet, and back at the command line I see:

** WARNING **: 'Unknown CORBA exception id:
'IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'' :
retrieving the specification for graph 0x836b7c0

** WARNING **: 'Unknown CORBA exception id:
'IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'' :
while attempting to get aconfiguration control

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkcontainer.c: line 713 (gtk_container_add):
assertion `widget != NULL' failed.

10.  After this I can still get the "Graph Data" dialog by right
clicking, but the graph thumbnail has disappeared.  I see the
additional messages

** CRITICAL **: file workbook-edit.c: line 529
(wbcg_edit_attach_guru):
assertion `wbcg->edit_line.guru == NULL' failed.

** WARNING **: There is a problem with sheet objects

Allin Cottrell.