Re: [gnumeric-list]annoyance with file overwriting

On 18 Mar 2001, it was written:

 Hi,

Hi,

I think it's VERY
unfriendly - there should be at least a checkitem in preferences dialog with
which you can control whether overwriting of files is permitted, but in the
ideal, program should do as user said - if user confirmed overwriting file,
file should be overwritten.

AFAIK this is only true when you save over Excel files. This is disabled purely for the
users safety. It would be disastrous for the user if he/she overwrites his/hers original file and can't
re-open it in Excel because there's a bug in the Excel exporter. We want to avoid such situations.

Maybe in the future when we're confident enough that the Excel export will always work the overwriting
will be enabled. I don't think it's a good idea to enable overwriting at this point.

 Hmm, that's reasonable..

 I think that adding word "Excel" to the text message (that tells that
overwriting was disabled at compile time) will bring less confusion (i.e.
"Overwriting Excel files was disabled at compile time..").

Yours sincerely,

Almer S. Tigelaar

 Best regards,
  -Vlad