Gnumeric and TT Fonts

Hello,
Although I've been able to view and use TT fonts in other gnome
applications, I've had no sucess using these fonts in Gnumeric.
Specifically, none of these fonts show up as being selectable. Given
that the spreadsheets I recieve from others are in MS Excel format, it's
important that I be able to work with these spreadsheets in their native
font format (to preserve formating, spacing, etc..). Is there any way to
enable Gnumeric to see these fonts in addition to the standard system
fonts.

Thanks
John