Re: can't open file

   Created and maintained a file under 'gnumeric' for over six months.
   Now, when I try to open it, I get a 'could not read ***' error message.
   The file is backed up in three places and the same message occurs with each
   file.

This (obvioulsly) should not happen.

May we have a copy of the file in question so we can investigate?  (We
can keep it confidential if needed -- send personal mail to me and
jody.)

Gnumeric files are just gzipped xml, so you can certainly do something
like "gunzip <myfile.gnumeric >myfile.xml" and recover your data that
way if you really have to.

Morten