Gnumeric failed to find a suitable default font

Hi.  This is my first post to this list.  I recently installed
RH 7.  When I try to use gnumeric, I get the message:

  "Gnumeric failed to find a suitable default font

  Please verify your gnome-print installation and that your fontmap
  file (typically located in /usr/local/share/fonts/fontmap) is not
  empty or near empty.

  If you still have no luck, please file a proper bug report including
  1. Values of LC_ALL and LANG environment variables
  2. Your fontmap file, see above."

What does the phrase "verify your gnome-print installation" mean exactly?
 rpm -q tells me I have gnome-print-0.20-8 installed, and that I'm
running gnumeric-0.54-4, which are the ones that came with RedHat 7.
I do have a directory /usr/local/share/fonts, but I do not have a
/usr/local/share/fonts/fontmap.

What do I need to do to get gnumeric running again?

Thanks,

Richard Belshoff.
--
Department of Mathematics           | e-mail: belshoff math smsu edu
Southwest Missouri State University | Tel:(417) 836-5374  FAX: 836-6966