Re: Copying all

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 09:40:27AM -0600, Thomas R . Shannon wrote:
When I work with spreadsheets, I frequently like to copy all of the
vaues in the sheet and paste them elsewhere (usually pasting the values
special).  I noticed that when selecting and copying the whole sheet via
the button at the origin of the rows and columns, the program slows
considerably.  I assume that this is because the program indeed copies
everything, empty cells and all.  Wouldn't it be more efficient to have
the program define the limits of the data within the sheet and only copy
those cells?  Or would this be difficult to implement?  I wonder how
excel and lotus do it?  They don't appear to slow nearly as much when
this method is used.

Gnumeric only copies the cells with data.  Trust me copying an
entire 256x64k matrix of cells would be much slower.  There is still
plenty of room for improvement.  However, that is not high on the
priority scale right now.

Correctness, and completeness.  We have lots of ideas for
optimization, but try to avoid acting on them until later.

If you're in the mood to help with completeness it will decrease the
time before optimization :-)