With lots of notes it's become slow. Can I switch off the wikiwiki-like linking system?

I love gNote, perhaps too much.  I have added lots of notes.

But over time gnote has become sluggish, now very sluggish, and slow to startup or to create new notes or to change note names.  It still works properly, just that there are long pauses before it responds at times.

I'm guessing this might be related to it's ability to link from one note to another, i.e. from the man page:

>> the ability to relate notes and ideas together, using a WikiWiki-like linking system

Actually I don't use that feature at all.  (I do however have some internet URL links that I use in some notes, which is my preferred form of linking.)

Is there any way to turn off this WikiWiki-like linking system to see if it is what is causing the slowness.

I've already looked at the man page and the online help.

Thank you.