RE: [gnomemm] How to use persistent history with GnomeEntry?

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 05:20, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > From: Christopher Smith [mailto:x xman org]
> > So, I've been experimenting a tad with gnomemm, so forgive me
> > if I ask a silly question.
> >
> > It looks to me like there isn't an obvious way to use
> > GnomeEntry's "persistent history" feature.
>
> What "persistent history" feature? I don't see anything here:
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/libgnomeui/gnomeentry.html

Admittedly, it's not terribly well documented, but I'm sure that's not
new for anyone. ;-)

> > In particular,
> > there is no way to construct a GnomeEntry with an id, and if
> > you set it later, it doesn't load the persistent history. Am
> > I right or wrong?
>
> I guess you are saying that Gnome::UI::GnomeEntry::set_history():
> http://www.gtkmm.org/gnomemm2/reference/html/classGnome_1_1UI_1_1Entry.html#a6
> doesn't work.

Actually, that API seems to work great. My history does indeed get
stored to disk. However, it does not load, because there is no way to
construct a GnomeEntry object using gnome_entry_new() (this is what
causes the stored history to be loaded):

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/libgnomeui/gnomeentry.html#GNOME-ENTRY-NEW

> You're probably the only person who has tried it. I'm not sure what
> GnomeEntry is supposed to do, but if you have an example or test case then
> maybe we could investigate for you. It would be nice to compare it to the
> same thing in C.

Ugh, I detest writing in C. ;-) Well, if I get some time in the next day
or so to deal with this, I'll either write a patch or a sample in C. I'm
happy to fix this problem myself, I just didn't want to be worrying
about this in a case where I just wasn't using the API correctly.

--
Christopher Smith <x xman org>