[gnomemm] Re: Designing a new C++ Framework ?

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 15:31, Antonio José Sáenz Albanés wrote:
> Hi Murray,
>
> How are you?
> What about new year plans?
> Will you go to GU4DEC?

Yes, I will definitely be there in Dublin in June and I hope other C++
coders will be there too.

> Well... After studying your Bakery Framework (great!) I am just
> looking for a bigger framework (You know, very big applications with
> no simple interfaces)
>  and having read the below e-mail from Ralph Johnson I am in the way
> of making some decisions and design a new framework based on MVC++ (a
> modified Reenskaug original MVC for C++ from Ari Jaaksi) (of course
> gtkmm, gnomemm and libsig++) and CORBA (orbitcpp instead of TAO).

Note that orbitcpp is not particularly good at the moment. If you want
to use it you should expect to work on it yourself.

However, I recently separated the GUI interfaces from the non-GUI
interfaces in Bakery, so maybe a similar design could be used for CORBA
component interfaces instead of C++ classes. Or maybe it would be enough
to implement a Bakery::Document that gets/sets its data from via CORBA
client.

It would be best to tell us about any particular problems that you are
trying to solve.

Note that Bakery uses Document/View, not full MVC. It would use MVC if
someone could show how that would be helpful.

> I attach some papers and the original message thread..
>
> I only need some tips about actual development of gnomemm and orbitcpp
> and libbonobomm.

There are examples in the tarballs.

>  Some examples about the server loop mixing orbitcpp and gnomemm.

Could you be more specific?

--
Murray Cumming
murray usa net