Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Warning - Read the First couple of Paragraph Before you Decide if You want To read The rest

Hi.
On Fri, 26 May 2006, John B wrote:

> On Thursday 25 May 2006 19:04, George Boyd wrote:
>
>   <snip a lot of craP>
>
> > I know this next statement will anger a
> > lot of people, but the biggest culprit is ALSA, NOT Ekiga. What is wrong
> > with you guys?
>
>   They have an idiot like you whining and complaining, instead of trying to
> help them develop. That's a major part of the problem.
>   Now, unless you are going to *volunteer* your time, like the ALSA guys, and
> try to make things any better...FOAD, please.

A)George's comment on the ALSA stuff is reasonably accurate.
  It can be inordinately difficult to setup ALSA on your box, even when
  you have the right drivers.

B)Having used sound cards on linux and windows, my experience has been
  that windows sound works far better than linux sound..

  Windows exp:: buy sound card, usb headset, whatever. plug into windows
   box. install driver if needed. Use sound device immediately inside
   myphone.

  Linux exp:: take the same sound card, usb headset, plug into linux
   box. drivers all there already. Cannot use sound card - some other
   device has grabbed the sound card. Enter asound.conf file. Put in dmix
   options, follow all recipes etc. think carefully. Adjust alsamixer
   for that card. Ask various people for help. Look at obscure error
   messages and go "what"?  google....

C)We have (at the last time I was told) a free and open society.
  If that statment is indeed correct, then we we will behave in a far
  more civil fashion. In such a society, it will be possible to make
  informed criticism without fear of "flames"...
  Criticism  can be healthy, if and only if it is listened to carefully,
  evaluated, and considered.  I look at the person who made the comments,
  and then do a google on their name.
   A quick search for george-boyd linux shows hits stretching back
  many years.

 Who is John B - what is his full name, and address????

Derek.
--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.                 Any fool can write code that
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.                a computer can understand.