Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] h323 - LAN break

On Thu, 11 May 2006 06:48:24 +0200
Julien PUYDT <jpuydt free fr> wrote:

> Gustavo dos Anjos a écrit :
> > You're right! When I try to start a call, my LAN stops to work! I can't
> > communicate to other computer and even though to my modem. I have to plug
> > out my modem from eletricity to restart my LAN and my internet connection.
> > I dont  know if "symmetric NAT' has some relation with my problem, but I
> > already opened all necessaries ports mentioned on ekiga homepage topic (FAQ
> > - Getting it to work behind a NAT router). Thank you to spend you time to
> > try to help me!
>
> That's just impossible! An application running on a computer cannot
> break a modem to the point where a hard reset is necessary.

..deleted

Actually, the very same thing used to happen to me with my ADSL modem.

When I first got my ADSL connection, the modem would lock up every time
I tried to make a H.323 call. No matter what I did, no matter what the
NAT and firewall settings, I simply could not make a H.323 call through
that modem.

After much investigation, I determined that the modem was trying to be
too smart. It was trying to proxy the H.323 connection for me, and it
the code in the modem was obviously buggy, so every H.323 call would
crash the modem.

I eventually solved the problem by disabling the H.323 proxy mode in the
modem using an undocumented command from the vendor. Since then, I've
not had a problem.

Maybe Gustavo is having the same like of problem. For the record, my
modem is a Dynalink RTA100

   Craig

 Craig Southeren          Post Increment ? VoIP Consulting and Software
 craigs postincrement com au                   www.postincrement.com.au

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046

 "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
  Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting