Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Ekiga behind non-configurable symmetric NAT? - a FAQ

Hi,

Le lundi 13 mars 2006 à 13:47 +0200, Timo Jyrinki a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Are there any possibilities to use Ekiga behind a symmetric NAT that is not
> configurable? I think the FAQ falsibly assumes that people "using" NATs have
> chosen to do so.

Yes:
http://www.ekiga.org/index.php?rub=3&pos=0&faqpage=x161.html#AEN163
"If it reports "Symmetric NAT" and that you are not using GNU/Linux,
then you are not part of the 99% of lucky users. You will have to
forward UDP ports 5000 to 5100 to your internal machine. Run the test
again, it should report "Cone NAT" or "Port Restricted NAT" and it will
work."

If you can not forward ports:
http://www.ekiga.org/index.php?rub=3&pos=0&faqpage=x161.html#AEN196
"Please make sure you have read this FAQ correctly because it should
work in all cases. The worst case is when you have to forward ports. If
you can not forward ports, or if you do not want to do it, you have
alternative solutions. For SIP, you can use SIPROXD as outbound proxy.
For H.323, please configure the GNU Gatekeeper as a proxy."

> For example, my home Internet connection goes through the same NAT than others'
> connections who live in the same block of flats. The NAT resides somewhere in
> the basement, is not configurable and we have been told it will not be
> configured to allow anything it does not currently. STUN doesn't help at all
> apparently with symmetric NAT, so is the conclusion basically that I can't use
> Ekiga here until Ekiga starts supporting stuff like TURN/ICE? Are there any
> concrete plans of introducing more NAT-travelsal support in Ekiga?

TURN and ICE are great, but only if you have TURN servers proxying the
RTP streams. Such servers do not exist yet, so it would not solve your
problem.

(o-
        SIP Phone      : sip:dsandras ekiga net
                         sip:600000 ekiga net