Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] [Fwd: ekiga and messenger]

> > I'm very much an open source newbie so forgive the naivete of the
> > question.
Well - we all have started sometime :-)

> > should I be able to text and video message with others who use yahoo
> > messenger - and if so how?
With Ekiga unfortunately no. Yahoo is a proprietary system with closed and
probably patented protocols.

> > I've been text IMing with gaim but that doesn't support video.
Well - check out Kopete. It has some webcam support but don't expect too much.

> > yahoo messenger appears to be incompatible with suse and anyway isn't
> > open source
Well yahoo messenger is incompatible to almost everything that isn't yahoo
messenger. Try Kopete or a Jabber based system (but this is text only also)

> > anybody any advice
Get your friends use something open - e.g. Ekiga or maybe Openwengo - based
upon the SIP protocol. :-)

Conrad